07 Mar Permaculture, What It Is and How To Get Involved!
Recently, chef Lachlan Culjak and our kitchen staff ventured out to Windsor, N.S to learn a bit more about Permaculture, something he and the E&V gang is very passionate about! If it’s your first time hearing this word, in its simplest form, Permaculture is the design of processes that create an ecosystem that is self-supporting while minimizing/eliminating any negative effects on the environment.
The core of Permaculture can be summed up into these 12 principles, with an in-depth break down that can be found HERE
1. Observe and Interact
2. Catch and Store Energy
3. Obtain a Yield
4. Apply Self Regulation and Accept Feedback
5. Use and Value Renewable Resources and Services
6. Produce No Waste
7. Design from Patterns to Details
8. Integrate Rather than Segregate
9. Use Small and Slow Solutions
10. Use and Value Diversity
11. Use Edges and Value the Marginal
12. Creatively Use and Respond to Change
As with all concepts that challenge us to alter our lives and the way we do things, they can be overwhelming and leave us wondering where to begin! However, the benefits of altering our day-to-day activities far outweigh the tweaks we have to make. Below are some processes that we’ve adopted at E&V to do our part!
– collaborating with local brewery Good Robot, who send us their ‘waste product’ of spent grains which we use in our delicious sourdough bread!
– preserving and fermenting produce so that we have what we need when it’s out-of-season, instead of importing from afar